Sunday, November 8, 2009

Can dramatic play teach self-control?

I have been reading the very recently published NurtureShock: New Thinking about Children. I just made it through the chapter discussing self-control in preschool children and the implementation of Tools of the Mind. Current studies indicate that self-regulation skills predict academic achievement more reliably than I.Q. tests. The program aims to increase cognitive self-control through complex dramatic play.

I first read about this in this New York Times article, which well summarizes the new findings. It is something I am currently reflecting on. We've already started implementing some of these ideas (see previous blog entry on Doctor imaginative play).

Sean, Sahil, and I are further researching the Tools of the Mind program  to see what it provides to our curriculum at Windsor.

If you're interested in learning more, please read the article linked above.

-SS

1 comment:

  1. Good insights in the article. I have always been a fan of Vyogotsky's ZPD - Tools of the Mind sound very intriguing too. Would love to hear your experience with the ideas expressed.

    Just ordered the book...looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete